Instructors: Hilda Neily & Glenna Hartwell
You can register here using our secure Paypal account; for further information, call the registrar at 617-717-9568.
This class is for both beginners and advanced students. Hilda Neily and Glenna Hartwell will take the class through the study of color beginning with simple arrangements of colored blocks on a tabletop outside in the sun or inside in the studio if it’s raining. Drawing is not stressed. We will concentrate on the simple color note studies for 2 days . We will go out and paint some structures in the landscape the third day . We will see how to concentrate on the big masses of lights and deep notes of color that make up a strong landscape painting. We will study all elements of landscape painting and or still life on the following days as weather permits.
August 13-17th, 9am-12pm
Winsor-Newton (or equivalent quality such as Rembrandt) Artist Oils:
- Winsor Lemon
- Winsor Yellow
- Winsor Orange
- Winsor Red
- Permanent Rose
- Permanent Green Light
- Permanent Green Deep
- Manganese Blue or Sevres Blue
- French Ultramarine
- Yellow Ochre
- Optional – Indian Red and Mars Violet
- 200 ml tube Titanium White
- Optional – blue pencil
- Gessoed panels: Masonite, Luan or birch plywood – Bring as many as 5-6 per day in a variety of sizes: 9×12″, 11×14″, 12×16″, 16×20″
NOTE: If you purchase pre-gessoed panels, be sure to brush them with another coat of gesso or else they will be too slick, and the paint will not adhere properly.
- Palette knife: Loew Cornell #J-15 or similar
- Easel: Plein Air type: Stan-Rite #300 or similar (you can purchase the Stan-Rite easel for $50. or less on Ebay.)
- Other supplies:
- Vegetable oil for cleanup
- Rolls of soft paper towels such as Bounty
- Small plastic trash bags
- Hat with brim (such as a baseball cap)
NOTE: do not wear tinted or transition eyeglasses. Wear Black or medium-colored shirts, no white or bright colors as they will reflect into your painting.