Instructor: Hilda Neily
You can register here using our secure Paypal account; for further information, call the registrar at 617-717-9568.
This class is for both beginners and advanced students. Hilda Neily will take the class through the study of color beginning with simple arrangements of colored blocks on a tabletop outside in the sun or inside in the studio if it’s raining. Drawing is not stressed. We will concentrate on the simple color note studies for 2 days . We will go out and paint some structures in the landscape the third day . We will see how to concentrate on the big masses of lights and deep notes of color that make up a strong landscape painting. We will study all elements of landscape painting and or still life on the following days as weather permits.
August 13-17th, 9am-12pm
Winsor-Newton (or equivalent quality such as Rembrandt) Artist Oils:
- Winsor Lemon
- Winsor Yellow
- Winsor Orange
- Winsor Red
- Permanent Rose
- Permanent Green Light
- Permanent Green Deep
- Manganese Blue or Sevres Blue
- French Ultramarine
- Yellow Ochre
- Optional – Indian Red and Mars Violet
- 200 ml tube Titanium White
- Optional – blue pencil
- Gessoed panels: Masonite, Luan or birch plywood – Bring as many as 5-6 per day in a variety of sizes: 9×12″, 11×14″, 12×16″, 16×20″
NOTE: If you purchase pre-gessoed panels, be sure to brush them with another coat of gesso or else they will be too slick, and the paint will not adhere properly.
- Palette knife: Loew Cornell #J-15 or similar
- Easel: Plein Air type: Stan-Rite #300 or similar (you can purchase the Stan-Rite easel for $50. or less on Ebay.)
- Other supplies:
- Vegetable oil for cleanup
- Rolls of soft paper towels such as Bounty
- Small plastic trash bags
- Hat with brim (such as a baseball cap)
NOTE: do not wear tinted or transition eyeglasses. Wear Black or medium-colored shirts, no white or bright colors as they will reflect into your painting.